TOKYO, February 6, 2023 – Astellas Pharma Inc. (TSE: 4503, President and CEO: Kenji Yasukawa, Ph.D., “Astellas”) today announced that at the meeting of the Board of Directors held today, a resolution was adopted to acquire its own shares pursuant to the provision of its Articles of Incorporation in accordance with Article 459, paragraph 1 of the Companies Act. The Company also announced that it decided to cancel its treasury stock pursuant to the provisions of Article 178 of the Companies Act. The details are as follows.
- Reasons for the acquisition of own shares
To improve capital efficiency and shareholder return.
- Details of the acquisition of own shares
(1) Class of shares to be acquired: Common stock of the Company
(2) Total number of shares to be acquired: Up to 29 million shares
(Ratio to the total number of shares outstanding [excluding treasury stock]: 1.59%)
(3) Total amount of acquisition cost: Up to 50 billion yen
(4) Period of acquisition: From February 7, 2023 to March 24 ,2023
(5) Method of acquisition: Market purchase on the Tokyo Stock Exchange
- Details of the cancellation of treasury stock
(1) Class of shares to be cancelled: Common stock of the Company
(2) Number of shares to be cancelled: All of the shares acquired as stated in 2 above
(3) Cancellation date: March 29, 2023 (planned)
＊ The actual number of shares to be cancelled will be announced after
completing the acquisition of own shares stated in 2 above.
(Reference) Status of treasury stock as of December 31, 2022:
Total number of shares outstanding (excluding treasury stock): 1,822,806,495 shares
Total number of treasury stocks: 13,045,080 shares
Click below for a copy of the full press release