The Company’s raison d'être is to contribute to improving the health of people around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products. The Company aims to sustainably enhance enterprise value by being chosen and trusted by all stakeholders. With this business philosophy, we work to ensure and strengthen the effectiveness of corporate governance from the following perspectives:
- Ensuring transparency, appropriateness and agility of management; and
- Fulfillment of our fiduciary duties and accountability to shareholders and appropriate collaboration with all stakeholders.
The Company has established the Corporate Governance Guidelines which clarifies the basic views and guidelines of the Company’s corporate governance.
Corporate Governance Guidelines
Summary of the corporate governance systems
The summary of the corporate governance systems is as follows:
- The Company adopts the organizational structure of “Company with Audit & Supervisory Committee.” Outside Directors constitute the majority of the Board of Directors and the Audit & Supervisory Committee, respectively.
- The Board of Directors determines basic policies of management, business strategies and other matters, and serves the oversight function of business execution.
- As an organ for handling execution of business, the Company establishes the Executive Committee for discussing important matters, and also appoints Top Management (the President and Chief Executive Officer; the Chief Strategy Officer and Chief Financial Officer; the Chief Administrative Officer and Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer; the Chief Medical Officer; the Chief Commercial Officer; the Chief Scientific Officer; and the Chief Business Officer are collectively referred to as “Top Management”), who are responsible for the execution of business. The responsibility and authority for the execution of business by the Executive Committee and Top Management are clearly stipulated in the "Corporate Decision Authority Policy".
- As advisory bodies to the Board of Directors, the Company establishes the Nomination Committee and the Compensation Committee, each of which are composed of a majority of Outside Directors.
Diagram of corporate governance systems
Please refer to the “Corporate Governance Report” for detail of corporate governance.
Corporate Governance Report
Independence Standards for Outside Directors