Last updated: June, 2021
Astellas Pharma respects your right to privacy. This Privacy Notice explains who we are, how we collect, share and use personal information about you when, either as an individual vendor or customer or third party or as a staff member of a vendor or customer or third party organisation, you provide good or services to Astellas or you are engaged in a contractual relationship with us, and how you can exercise your privacy rights. If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, then please contact us using the contact details provided at the bottom of this Privacy Notice.
The data controller is the local Astellas company or affiliate with which you will have a contract executed and where your personal data will be processed according to our internal processes. The contact details of each data controller globally can be found here.
What does Astellas do?
Astellas Pharma is a global pharmaceutical business, whose ultimate parent company is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. Our mission is to improve the lives of patients in the following key areas: transplantation, urology, oncology, anti-infectives. For more information about Astellas, please see the "About" section of our Website at https://www.astellas.com/eu/about/.
What personal information does Astellas collect and why?
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
- Information that you provide
We ask you to provide certain information as part of our vendor and customer engagement processes. The types of information we ask you to provide, and the reasons why we ask you to provide it, include:
Type of personal information Why we collect it Name and surname
Your function (e.g. title, position)
Postal address and other contact details
Fixed and/or mobile phone number
VAT Number or other tax registration details
Professional registration number
Bank account details
The purpose for processing this information is to engage you as a customer or vendor (including registering you with our vendor and customer management system after appropriate due diligence and review process) in order for you to be in the position to provide to us goods and/or services or to purchase from us as per your contractual arrangement with us. Processing is required to manage our customers, suppliers and service providers throughout the supply chain, to organize tenders and perform existing contracts.
If we ask you to provide any other personal information not described above, then the personal information we will ask you to provide, and the reasons why we ask you to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we collect your personal information.
- Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources (including contracting companies, service providers, credit rating and screening companies).
The types of information we collect from third parties include the above categories of personal information and we use the information we receive from these third parties to review, approve and handle our contractual relationship with you.
Legal basis for processing personal information
The legal basis we rely on is the performance of a contract that you may have already signed to provide to us goods or services or to purchase produces from us or the need to take required steps at your request prior to entering into a contractual relationship with you. We also have legal obligations to process your personal information to perform a contract with you such as e.g. tax or accounting obligations.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
Who does Astellas share my personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- To our group companies, third party services providers and partners who provide services to us in relation to the administration of our vendor and customer management system (including credit rating and screening companies), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes that are described in this Privacy Notice or notified to you when we collect your personal information. A list of our current group companies is available here;
- To any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- To a potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice;
- To any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
International data transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
Specifically, our servers are located in the EU, the USA and Japan, and our group companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of these countries.
However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice. These include implementing transfers of personal information between our group companies in accordance with section 72 of the Protection of Personal Information Act of 2013.
We have implemented similar appropriate safeguards with our third party service providers and partners and further details can be provided upon request.
How does Astellas keep your personal information secure?
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Specific measures we use include storing the personal information in an online system with restricted access for certain only users and the appropriate contractual and other technical safeguards.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements). We retain personal data we collect from you only according to our internal data retention policies.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Your data protection rights
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with all applicable data protection laws.
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- In addition, you may object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- You have the right to complain to the Information Regulator about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority (Contact details for the Information Regulator are available here).
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Notice.
How to contact us and our Information Officer
To exercise any of your privacy rights, please submit your request to [email protected].
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact our data protection officer using the following details: [email protected].