Support Activities for Recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake
June 14, 2013
With the aim of promoting the most rapid possible recovery from the earthquake and tsunami disaster that struck Japan on March 11, 2011, the Astellas Group has matched the amount of donations collected from all its employees in Japan every year since the anniversary of the disaster in 2012 and is providing these funds to the affected areas as a donation through the Japanese Red Cross Society. In addition, to promote healing among those who have moved to temporary accommodation or are still living in affected areas, we are continuing to donate flowers grown at the Green Supply Support Office*.
The Astellas Group will continue to provide support for recovery, never forgetting the tragedy of the Great East Japan Earthquake.
March 2013: 4,381,445 yen
March 2012: 7,849,140 yen
May 2011: Approx. 1.68 billion yen (including donations by each Astellas Group company to the Red Cross Societies of each country)
Donations of Flowers
Flowers of the four seasons will be donated throughout the year to the Omagari Citizens Center, Gomikura Community Center, Omagari Community Center, Yokonuma Community Center, and Jono Community Center in Higashi-Matsushima, Miyagi Prefecture. The first donation was of the spring flower gazania on April 4.
Flowers were donated to temporary accommodation in Tagajo, Miyagi Prefecture.
- Former site of Working Youth Center (24 sets)
- Takahashi Park (38 sets)
- Former site of Sanno City Housing Estate (50 sets)
- Tagajo Junior High School (48 sets)
- Kokufu Tagajo Station South District (96 sets)
- Tagajo Park Baseball Stadium (162 sets)
48 sets of flowers were donated to the temporary accommodation in Kokufu Tagajo Station South District in Tagajo, Miyagi Prefecture.
* Green Supply Support Office
Established in April 2011, the differently abled employees of the office conduct greening through flower growing and resource recycling. The donated flowers have been grown with the strong wish that people in the affected areas will make a rapid recovery.
IPPO IPPO NIPPON (Keizai Doyukai recovery support project)
IPPO IPPO NIPPON is a recovery support project of the Keizai Doyukai. Keizai Doyukai, a nationwide association of corporate executives, offers continuous support for efforts aimed at nurturing human resources, restoring vibrant communities, and reviving local businesses and industry in the affected areas. Astellas supports the aims of these activities and participates in them.
2013: 1,000,000 yen
2012: 1,000,000 yen
2011: 1,000,000 yen
Details of Company Wide Measures to Conserve Electricity in Summer
July 1, 2011
Astellas Pharma Inc. (Headquarters: Tokyo; President and CEO: Yoshihiko Hatanaka) announces details of its conserving electricity measures in summer season taken in response to electricity consumption reductions called for in the regions service by Tokyo Electric Power Company and Tohoku Electric Power Co., Inc.
In addition, Astellas views the requests of the various electric power companies, including Tohoku Electric Power Co., Inc. and Hokuriku Electric Power Co., seriously and will exert every effort to conserve electricity by as much as possible at all of its facilities around the country. At the same time Astellas has called for its employees to cooperate in conserving their power at home as well.
<Basic Thinking and Objectives>
- During the period of potential electricity shortage, Astellas will strictly comply with all laws and regulations and pay close attention to the various needs of society, while at the same time pursuing its corporate principle of providing stable supplies of pharmaceutical products by achieving high levels of operational productivity. Also, the Company will pursue appropriate operations to achieve a balance in the work and private lives of our employees.
- While the Fuji Plant (Fuji City, Shizuoka Prefecture) and Nishine Plant (Hachimantai City, Iwate Prefecture) of Astellas Pharma Tech Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of the Astellas Group, have received official approval as “legally relaxed regulation status” (Allowing them to avoid any mandatory reductions in electric power, “0” Reduction Rate), the Astellas Group, including the above mentioned facilities, as a whole will implement voluntary measures to reduce its electricity consumption by over 15% during peak consumption periods.
- Extended summer holidays will be implemented on a rolling basis at major facilities within the areas supplied by Tokyo Electric Power (*1) as a measure to conserve electricity by large margins during the peak electricity consumption period (Between mid-July to mid-August).
- Astellas will also implement the following measures at all of its facilities during the entire period when conserving electricity are called for in order to reduce its fundamental electricity consumption.
- Control of air conditioning temperature (Minimum 28 degrees Celsius) and temporary suspension of some air conditioning functions
- Reduction or suspension of lighting
- Suspension of some elevators operations
- Encouraging employees to leave work early
- Reduction in the number of shared office equipment operated
- At individual research facilities, plants
- Installing of emergency power generators
- Consolidation of freezer, refrigeration facilities
- Consolidation of space used for experiments
- Extended summer vacation implemented in exchange for operations conducted during the normal vacation period of Golden Week in May (Already implemented)
(*1) Details of summer vacation plans
(Research related functions)
- Tsukuba Research Center: Two periods of nine day vacations (July 16 to 24, August 6 to 14)
- Tsukuba Biotechnology Research Center: One nine day vacation (August 13 to 21)
- Takahagi Chemistry & Technology Development Center: One four day vacation (August 13 to 16)
(Production related functions)
- Astellas Pharma Tech, Fuji Plant: One 16 day vacation (July 23 to August 7), one 9 day vacation (July 23 to 31)
- Astellas Pharma Tech, Nishine Plant: One 9 day vacation (August 13 to 21)
- Astellas Pharma Tech, Takahagi Technology Center: One four day vacation (August 13 to 16)
(Sales office related)
- Headquarters: One six day vacation (August 12 to 17)
- branches and their sales offices: One seven day vacation (August 11 to 17)
- Headquarters, Hasune Office: One ten day vacation (August 12 to 21)
Some of the operations at the Fuji Plant have remained open during the Golden Week Holiday from May 2 to 6.
Furthermore the Tsukuba Research Center will operate on some Saturdays and holidays during the months of June, September and October. Also Astellas headquarters and its Hasune Office will also operate on some Saturdays and holidays during September and October.
Disaster relief of Tohoku, Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
(Updated on May 9, 2011)
Astellas Pharma Inc. expresses its deepest sympathy for those who have lost their lives and have been displaced by the Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami, which devastated the region on Friday, March 11, 2011. Astellas looks forward to a quick recovery from this natural calamity and offers its support in the relief efforts.
The followings are the Astellas’ global wide action toward the disaster relief.
Astellas Pharma Inc. contributed 100 million yen to Japanese Red Cross Society, and additionally donated ethical pharmaceutical products through Japan Medical Association and Japan Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association (JPMA).
Employees of Astellas Pharma Inc. donated the total of 13,899,190 yen in April (in two times, first donation 11,295,837 yen and second donation 2,603,353 yen)
Astellas USA Foundation contributed 100,000 US dollars to American Red Cross.
Astellas US matched its employees’ donation and contributed the total of 162,000 US dollars to American Red Cross.
Astellas Pharma Canada donated 5,000 Canadian dollars, and in addition matched its employees’ donation up to 11,770 Canadian dollars, and contributed 16,770 Canadian dollars in total to Canadian Red Cross.
Astellas European Foundation contributed 100,000 US dollars to Japanese Red Cross Society.
Employees of Astellas Pharma Europe Ltd. contributed to British Red Cross.
Employees of JSC Astellas Pharma (Russia and CIS countries) contributed 2,771,456 yen to Japanese Red Cross Society.
Employees of Astellas B.V. and Astellas Pharma Europe B.V. (Netherland) contributed 1,500 Euros to Japanese Red Cross Society.
Astellas Pharma Taiwan Inc. matched its employees’ donation and contributed the total of 562,000 Yuan to Taiwan Red Cross Society.
Employees of Astellas Pharma Thailand Co., Ltd. contributed 70,540 Thai baht to Red Cross Thailand.
P.T. Astellas Pharma Indonesia contributed 50 million Indonesian rupiah to Japan Platform (JPF) for the disaster relief.
Astellas Pharma Korea, Inc. contributed 25 million won, and the employees and Astellas Hope Fund contributed 15 million won. In total, 40 million won was donated to the Republic of Korea National Red Cross.